Saturday, December 12, 2009

Charlie Airborne Buffalo

From  approximately 1986 until October 1989, The Charlie Company of the 1st and 2nd Battalion, 17th Infantry Regiment were Airborne CO's on Jump Status.  In 1989, these companies were consolidated and used for the formation of the 1-501 PIR



Michaelpatrick Devlin and Pruitt (C 2-17)



Michealpatrick Devlin being lectured to by FORCCOM  CSMAJ Horvath the day before shipping out to ranger school.


 
Arctic Jump (C 2-17)


 
A Jim Rector Photograph: Arctic Jump (C 1-17 ABN)


 
CPT Jeffrey Gudmens, Commander of B/2-17 and Jumpmaster on the jump, exits the C141 over Malamute Drop Zone, FT Richardson, AK


 
C 1-17 CO, Michael Culpepper at the door. Circa 1987


 
Arctic Paratrooper


 
Arctic Jump


 
Members of C/2-17 stood up and hooked up, ready to jump.  Notice the snowshoes attached to their M-1950 Weapons Cases.


 
Members of B Co (ABN), 2Bn, 17th Infantry (we had reflagged C/1-17) prepare to jump from a C-141 on Malamute Drop Zone at FT Richardson, AK.  The COL is COL McDivett, the 1st Brigade, 6th ID Commander.  Benny Gudmens photograph


 
Two soldiers assigned to C 1-17 (ABN) operate an M60 machine gun during combined Army-Air Force Live Fire Exercises (CALFEX IV) at the Yukon Command Training Site. 20 Sept 1988



C 2-17 (ABN) Group Shot

7 comments:

  1. I have the C Company sign in my basement. I took it from the men who were changing the sign to 1/501 and stowed it in my room. Finally shipping it back home when I ETS-ed out.

    I served in 3rd Plt, C co from January 1989 until February 1992. They were great years.

    All the best, John Tyler

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to see some old Pics ! I was HHC Tow Plt 2/17th Mar88-Oct89, then converted to Geronimo 1/501st . Brimfrost sucked, we had record lows, snowfall and lost a few troops when a C130 crashed up further North.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Outstanding site, I popped a lot of silk over malamute in the late 80s, it’s great seeing the troops and remembering both of my past commanders CPT. Culpepper and CPT. Gudmens. I really enjoyed my tour of service at Ft Richardson.

    Clarence Powe USA Retired C-1/17 –B-2/17

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where's everyone at now ? It's me Kracy.

    ReplyDelete